People are always amazed when I serve them this dessert, the idea that Japanese knotweed might actual be edible is enough to get questions flying, even more you can make it taste as nice as this. The next question is “where is it growing around here?” This is a classic dessert given a wild food twist. The stalks have to be young and fresh for this recipe.
- 2 Large Cooking Apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 5 stalks Japanese knotweed – roughly chopped
- 50g caster sugar
- 120g brown sugar
- 60g butter
- 100g flour
- 200ml thick cream or vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C / gas mark 6.
- Combine the apple and Japanese knotweed in an oven-proof dish; sprinkle over sugar 50g caster sugar
- Add brown sugar, butter and flour to a bowl and mix with your hands until it’s nice and crumbly.
- Spread the crumble mixture over the top of the apple and Japanese knotweed mix.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the top is golden and the fruit mix is bubbling.
- Best served with whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream.