This is a retake on the classic rhubarb and ginger jam, and as expected the flavour combination is absolutely perfect.
Makes 3-4 medium jars
- 800g young knotweed stems chopped in to 1cm pieces
- 1kg jam sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 Thumb sized piece of ginger, skinned and finely chopped
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl, mix thoroughly and allow to sit, covered, for 1hour
- Place the mixture in a large pan over medium heat for 10-15minutes, until the knotweed has softened.
- Turn the heat up to high and let it boil vigorously until the setting point has been reached.
- To test this put a small plate in the fridge and drop a small amount of boiling jam on to it (a tea spoon) – put it back in the fridge for 30 seconds then remove it and push the jam with your finger, if the top wrinkles it’s at setting point. If not continue cooking and testing until it works.
- Pour your jam in to sterilised jars, seal and label – use within 6 months and 1 week after opening.